Every week I try to incorporate 1-2 plant-based meals into our meal schedule. I’ll make one of these meals for dinner and then we usually eat it for our lunch the next day as well. This is a great way to give your digestive system a small break from meat or other animal-based foods, add variety into your weekly diet, and it makes you appreciate animal-based proteins even more when you do eat them.
This is one of our favorite vegetarian meals! We like to call it “Thai Quinoa.” It’s filling, and it’s got a little bit of everything – your protein, your veggies, and your healthy fats.
- 4 ½ c. cooked quinoa (about 1 ½ c. uncooked)
- 1 c. chopped carrots
- 1 c. edamame beans
- ½ to 1 c. chopped green onions (depending on how much you like green onions!)
- ¾ c. chopped toasted unsalted peanuts
- ¾ c. freshly chopped cilantro
For the sweet chili sauce:
- 6 Tbsp. sweet chili sauce
- 3 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. coconut milk
- 1 ½ Tbsp. light brown sugar
- 3 tsp creamy peanut butter (melted)
- 1 ½ lime, juiced (about 3-4 Tbsp.)
- 3/8 tsp. ground ginger
- Begin cooking quinoa according to package directions. Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes in warm, covered pot after cooking.
- Chop all ingredients while quinoa is cooking
- Steam edamame beans according to package directions. When done steaming, remove from heat and add carrots in with edamame beans. Cover and keep in pot for 5-10 minutes to let carrots cook just slightly.
- Combine all sauce ingredients in a large bowl and whisk well to combine
- Stir in the quinoa and toss well to coat
- Add in carrots, edamame, and green onions, stirring to combine
- Toss in half of the peanuts and cilantro, and then top with remaining peanuts and cilantro before serving
Hope you enjoy and happy eating!