Love this black bean soup recipe from “Our Best Bites.” I was pleasantly surprised by both the taste and the satisfaction I felt after our meal the first time I cooked this soup. It’s a vegetarian dish, but don’t let that stop you – it’s one of our go-to favorites especially on those cold fall/winter days!
This recipe has a great protein and veggie base. To round out the meal we often add a little bit of shredded cheese on top (fat) and a side salad or a steamed veggie.
1 Tbsp olive oil
3/4 cup diced carrots
3/4 cup diced celery
4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
2 cans (15 oz) blacked beans (drained and rinsed)
1 (3.5 oz) can diced green chiles
2 (15 oz) cans low sodium beef broth
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp back pepper
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 bay leaf
1 lime, juiced
Optional toppings: chopped cilantro, shredded cheese, additional lime wedges
- Heat olive oil in large stockpot over medium heat. Add carrots, celery, onion, and garlic and cook for 4-5 minutes
- Add the black beans, chilies, and beef broth. Stir to combine and then add spices and bay leaf. Simmer uncovered for about 20-25 minutes or until carrots are tender. Remove from heat. Remove bay leaf from soup.
- Use an immersion blender to purée the soup to desired consistency (or transfer in batches to a blender but be careful, it will be hot!)
- Squeeze in the juice from one lime and give another stir or pulse to combine
- Serve in bowls with desired toppings